Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Story Time: The Guru Gayatri

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Story Time: The Guru Gayatri

"The woman who sings the Guru Gayatri, gains both Worldly and Heavenly joy. All earthly wealth and magical powers come to her, and through Raj Yoga she merges with God!" --Yogi Bhajan, from Furmaan Khalsa
When I went to India on my first, and as of yet only, yatra, I knew I wanted to get a Kara while I was there. I asked a few people in the community what mantra I should have inscribed into the steel bracelet and more than one person said, the Guru Gayatri mantra, Gobinday Mukanday etc., because it protects the women and increases her radiance. I will confess I didn't know much about all the various mantras and their effects yet. But I decided that sounded good.
When the vendor came to our hotel to show us the selection of karas and kirpans he had available, my eye fell to one in particular. I asked what mantra it was and he said, Gobinday Mukanday. The steel was still warm because it had just been cast that day. It was an amazing feeling to hold it in my hands and slide it over my left wrist. I knew it was mine the moment he spoke.
Later, I found this quote from Yogi Bhajan, the Siri Singh Sahib, about the gifts of the Gayatri Mantra and I knew it belonged on this collection of songs dedicated to the Divine Feminine. Yes, there are lots of versions of this mantra available, and yes, there was no need for another one; but I felt it belonged with these other sacred songs as a complete story of the woman and the sounds that elevate her identity and reality. So I've included it--an 11-minute meditation of this amazing mantra by Guru Gobind Singh, the 10th Sikh Master. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home