Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: They Say It's Your Birthday

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

They Say It's Your Birthday



It's my birthday, too, yeah. Yes, today is the day my soul decided to come join you all--38 years ago. It's the guru's year-11-in Numerology. A gateway year. Some big things should happen.

I don't have any big aspirations, though. Last year was a big year for transitions. New home, new job, new life. This year I feel like I'll be settling a little bit deeper into my own skin. I'd like to sing more; I'd like to record a few things; I'd like to write more--a book even; I'd like to read more; I'd like to hike more; I'd like to develop a really strong personal sadhana; I'd like to go to New York, Seattle--and maybe even Paris. I'd like to stay in touch better with friends like you; I basically want to do more of what I love to do, but with more intention, more awareness, more purpose.

Since it's the guru's year for me, maybe I'll finally finish that sahaj path I started too long ago to mention. I'd like to go deeper into me and resolve and dissolve the remaining blocks to my own liberation and freedom so that I can simply be relaxed in my own life, in my own skin, in my own home. When my Buddhist teacher, Robina Courtin, was here in January, she said that if you wanted to know when you were enlightened. If you wanted a way to 'check it' as she says. Know this: in the morning, when you wake up, if every hair on your body stands up because you are so ecstatic to be alive and to be blessed with this precious breath--to wake up on the right side of the grass as we say in the South--that's when you'll know you've achieved the consciousness of liberation; that's when you'll have achieved freedom.

I've had an awakening this year; I've realized my true nature--cherdi kala--through meditation and practice. But I want to continue the unraveling. I want to continue the exploration. This journey that began 38 years ago continues on--and it's always been a journey about finding the truth. Perhaps that's why I'm a Sikh--a seeker of truth. May your journey bring you to the destination that your heart calls you toward. May it be cozy, may it be filled with like-minded friends (the company of the saints) and may it call you to your highest potential.

Blessing, blessing, blessing from the living God that is within you and that is You. Sat Nam.

5 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the Long Time Sun Shine Upon You. All Love Surround You. And the Pure Light Within You Guide Your Way On.

Adi Singh

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Thank you!

How do you know about my blog?

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a big list of sikh bloggers on Sikhiwiki and your site is on it. I just stumbled across it a while back and thought it would be a nice way to say "happy birthday".

Adi Singh

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

I hope your birthday was a great day!
If you're willing to travel far, my humble opinion is that Amritsar would be way WAY way more incredible than Paris. They are almost like polar opposites to me. Despite all that may be bad in Amritsar, the Hari Mandir Sahib is like no place on earth and there is a lot of love in Amritsar. In the Guru's time Amritsar was called 'sifti da ghar' translated to me as 'the place(house) of values,' where Paris to me (from my experience of it) is the place of demerits. Don't mean to rain on the parade :-) If you've studied art history Paris has some interesting sites, but your soul would thank you and you would grow in ways unimaginable if you visited the Hari Mandir Sahib.
I hope that your desire to travel is fulfilled, I just thought I'd plant a seed for something that you may not have considered :-)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Thank you Adi Singh and Prabhu Singh for your birthday wishes. Of course I'd like to go to Harimander Sahib....take that sip and a dip. But that's a longer trip than I'll have time for this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home