Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Relating Authentically

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Relating Authentically

It's been a rough couple of weeks. But I'm still standing.

I've been looking in the face of addiction and it's so ugly. It makes me so grateful for the life I have now. And it's confronting me about the behaviors I still hold onto that no longer serve me or those that I love.

This journey of recovery is so much more than just not using. Because even if our bodies our sober, our minds aren't, unless we maintain a certain simple attitude. To be in the grip of anything is so painful. But to be a slave to our own madness is a terrible thing, especially when our minds were given to us as a servant.

Self-assessment and awareness, love and compassion, surrender and strength are the way out, but the path is often very, very dark. Unless the meditative mind can be corralled, the negative mind and the positive minds join forces to completely spin us out--we become compulsive, obsessive, exaggerating, and destructive. The very definition of a an addict.

I am so grateful that I was not only able to surrender, initially, but I was also able to stick around long enough to claim my own power back. To embody the Bhakti/Shakti principle and polarity that is this Trantric practice of Kundalini Yoga.

It is a narrow blade we walk, and it can cut so sharply and deeply. It's killing hundreds everyday. Destroying families. Destroying lives. And it's only going to grow colder and meaner as time passes. People will be hopeless. But there is always hope and as my teacher says, kindness is never wasted.

May the hand of AA always be there to reach out to the fellow sufferer and may the teachings of Yogi Bhajan always be there to uplift the spirit so that we may all be lifted up to our true, authentic nature and our promised birthright: To be Happy, Healthy, and Holy.

Today's Yogiji quote:
"The mind is beyond time and space. It is part of the Universal Mind. It is given to you as an instrument to serve you. What happened? It became your master and you became the servant. The mind becomes a monster when it becomes your master. The mind is an angel when it becomes your servant. It is all in your mind. The meditative mind is a purely beautiful state of living."

Coincidence? Think again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home