Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: In my Heaven, David Byrne is God

Monday, September 29, 2008

In my Heaven, David Byrne is God

It's been a weekend of music--and what a weekend it's been. Things were jump-started with a rehansabhai for a friend's 120-day celebration. This all-night singing fest had me scheduled in at 1:30am! Yikes...I thought surely I would be singing lullabies as everyone else slept the night away, but lots of people were awake--and if they weren't awake when I started, they were awake by the time I finished. (Although, the rousing Jai Bhagauti that followed served to wake up any remaining sleepy heads!) Great fun.

Saturday was the final day of the raag course I participated in this week. Beautiful--and even if I never sing traditional, classical kirtan, it gives me new ideas and helps me learn new shabds.

Sunday morning I was awakened by the phone with a request to cover someone's kirtan slot...soooo, more music, and I got to play the new shabd I'd learned (in my own way of course).

But the penultimate moment was Sunday night--David Byrne in Concert! Amazing! I can't believe I've never seen him before. He was and is a genius and I got so much joy from just watching him. The show was more than I could have ever expected. I was always a fan (back in college) but now I have a renewed zeal for this creative, eccentric, expressive, beautiful man. A must-see show if he's ever in your area!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home