Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Moving right along...and now on video

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Moving right along...and now on video

Well I've had an interesting few days. Did some recording with friends which only served to remind me why I don't record; You have to be a professional! You have to be able to play like a machine; I definately can't. I'm at my best as an improvisational artist. They keep saying it will come, but I have my doubts. So as much as I'd like you, my readers and listeners, to have higher quality recordings, I may be too unskilled to provide them for you. Oh for the chance at studio musicians--ha!

My back has been out for a few days for no apparent reason, which has brought up a lot of "stuff". There's always that one (or two if you're from a 'new agey' community like this one) person who says--well, are you feeling unsupported? What are you not dealing with? Was it your visit with your family? Always looking for a reason. I used to be that person, so I don't have any hard feelings; but I also don't necessarily think that way anymore. I've been reading Grace and Grit by Ken Wilber. He's one of my favorite philosophers and No Boundary was a really pivotal book for me several years ago. This one is about his wife's death. And she speaks really eloquently to this whole 'new age' conspiracy of meaning: because everything has to have a meaning, ergo sum, it must be your fault you're sick. Like her, I quit buying it a long time ago. Because if everything has to have some meaning (within this lifetime) then it's my fault I'm single; it's my fault I'm an addict; it's my fault I'm this or that. This doesn't mean I'm not accountable for some of these things in my life, but to place blame serves no one, least of all myself. Yes, there are reasons I'm not married and yes there are reasons I became an addict, but sometimes, life is just suffering and living through it and transcending them may be the entire point--not the actual events themselves or the search for meaning associated with them.

With being flat on my back for the past few days, I of course watched a few movies. Here are my recommendations for "now on video":

Thank You For Smoking. What's to say? It's funny, ironic, sardonic, narcissistic, lots of -ics. Definately recommend if you like the darker side of humor.

Mrs. Henderson Presents. Charming. Lovely film (kids be warned, though, several scenes with frontal nudity)with a moving soliloquy toward the end about war. My favorite line goes something like this, When you lose a son to war, you understand that they are all wasted deaths. There is no good war. (I'm paraphrasing.)

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift. Great fun....if you love cars and high speed chases that is.

Art School Confidential. Painfully funny. And evidently it's even funnier if you've actually been to art school.

Nacho Libre. I about lost my nachos watching this one! My friend and I laughed so hard, I seriously thought I was going to have to do a Heimlich on her....she was choking on her popcorn. Definately over the top, but funny nonetheless.

I feel like I could keep writing but I should probably be transcribing instead....don't forget to vote! This will be my first year as an adult to not be able to--I didn't register in time here in New Mexico.....oh well. If there is to be a sea change, it will have to be without me. Bring the boys home, as they used to say.

all love in the divine.

2 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

Everything happens for a reason, but we may not always know why. Karma isn't just something we've accrued in this lifetime.
I'm not sure what your addiction is, I certainly have compassion for you as I have bad habits that can be like addictions at times as well. However, I think the first step in most de-addiction programs is taking responsibility. There shouldn't be blame or guilt, but only you can start or stop an addiction. Good luck. I'm on day 4 of a new 40 day sadhana where I'm trying to stay away from certain negative habits. Just start small and what you give will come back 10 fold. If you give a 10th of your day, you will always be covered.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Thanks Prabhu. Absolutely! Taking responsibility and owning it is one of the first steps to changing. I've been sober a long time now, but my addictive personality sometimes kicks in--now it's a game to watch it and no longer identify it as me--my true nature. It's just an illusion like my many other facets and projections--my negative mind, my judgement, my "please worship me" ego, etc. It's all just the play of maya. The joy of it all now is to remain still within it all and joyfully reside in who we actually are! sometimes I forget. Thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home