Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Working Late and other thoughts on Politics, Pleasure, and Pomegranates

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Working Late and other thoughts on Politics, Pleasure, and Pomegranates

I'm not known for my work-aholism but we have a course coming up in two days and we're still in the process of putting the materials together! Yikes. So, not much reading, writing, or movies to report on. Just going home to crash and get up and do it all over again. However, I did hear an interesting fact this morning on the radio. I'm not a consumer of the news media, typically. I listen to the occasional weekend public radio spot; I sometimes get to catch Amy Goodman's show, and I read Salon fairly regularly. But other than that, I'm fairly out-of-touch. But it was comforting to find out that my instincts were on target, because one of the reasons I don't watch the news is that I feel like it's so biased that what's the point, right? Now, the cultural rhetoric in these days and times (end times did I hear you say?) is all about the "liberal media". So it was a relief to hear the facts this morning: ALL of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and even PBS, along with CNN, MSNBC, and of course FOX) guests overwhelmingly represent the Republican position (60%-76% ACROSS THE BOARD). How about them apples?
Now to pleasure: Don't you just love the first snow? The first crisp and swift change in the seasons. The first new crop of apples. The end of figs and the beginning of clove tea and spice cake. I didn't grow up where you experienced seasons; instead you lived through cold fronts. So it could be 70 degrees and sunny on Christmas day--which sort of messes with the whole White Christmas thing. I love living here in the land of enchantment where you can actually feel the change in the seasons. Suddenly one morning, you need an extra blanket and you know to wear a wrap to work, because it will still be sunny and warm in the afternoons. Yum. The only downside to the change of seasons is that I'm susceptible to getting colds and flues. Something about my vata nature. So here's a recipe for chest colds and flues--preventing them that is.
Take a handful of black peppercorns and throw them in a pot of water. Boil and simmer. Once you've made your pepper tea--add a little bit of pomegranate juice and enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi lady! i came upon your blog through sat darshan's page. love your writing. its a pleasure to read. sound like youre doing well and keeping busy.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Hey! Is this Simrit -- former housemate --Simrit? Glad you're enjoying the blog...I'll try to have some more movie reviews this fall . . .too busy to see anything lately! Hope you are well and enjoying school. Sat Nam. SPKK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home