Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Seen at the Cinema

Monday, December 04, 2006

Seen at the Cinema

Babel

I finally saw Babel yesterday afternoon. I spoke to a friend immediately after and she asked, What's it about? And I had to be honest and say, I don't know. Not that I couldn't go into some post-modern explication of the miscommunication of cultures (fairly obvious from the title), of families, of power, etc. But ultimately it felt more about loss and recovering from loss and the lengths people will go to in order to avoid their feelings: whether it's a trip to Morocco to heal a broken marriage, or a teenager's misguided attempts at love and attention. And then on top of it all was just chance and misjudgement and the abuse of power along with fear and all the things that go with it.

It was intense and disturbing and poignant. It was beautiful. A lot like life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home