Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: The Art of the Broken Heart

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Art of the Broken Heart

There are certain skills that we all want to master in our lifetimes; they may vary from person to person, but nevertheless there is a drive for mastery, for perfection. For some it is public speaking, for others musicianship, and still others, the mind and meditation. Most of us don't set out to be bad at things. Neither do we leap headlong into mediocrity. Instead, it creeps up on us. For some it comes from such strong desire that we overlook or deny the truth--everyone knows someone who longs to be a singer, but can't actually stay in tune; or someone who longs to be a comedian but there timing is never quite right.

Well, I have inadvertantly become an expert at the broken heart. I have it down to a science--so much so, that I've reached a mastery in which the object no longer even needs to be present. It all takes place within my own mind-body, emotiona-body, etc. I have successfully fallen in love and broken my own heart without anyone even showing up to play the admittedly common, but evidently unnecessary, role of paramour. Now, please don't take this as bragging on my part; because who would brag about this, right? Instead this is simply a self-reflection on the power of the mind and the power of story and how it makes us prey to ourselves. Amazing.

The only hopeful thing about this entire scenario is that perhaps, just perhaps, if the mythic paramour actually appears, I'll already have been through the ups and downs--the drama--and will simply be able to be present to the moment and relax and take it one breath at a time. No guarantees though!

I'll close with my favorite musician's thoughts on the subject--Michael Franti:
"I let go of my broken heart
I let go of my broken dreams
I let go to the mystery
I believe in the spiritual
I believe in the miracle
I believe in the one above
I believe in the one I love
so I take one step closer to you
one step closer to you...."


May we all be free of fear
May we all be safe from harm
May we all know love
May we all simply be.

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

This is a great example of how powerful our minds are. And how little it matters what others call 'real.' Somebody could tell you, you didn't really break your heart because the person wasn't there, but you would know they're false. Somebody could also tell you, 'this is your place in life... and this is what you'll achieve...,' but rest assured they're equally false.
Since there is no difference between us and God, we can do and be whatever we want. Nothing is outside our reach. Since you are an expert on the broken heart, I guess you're also an expert on mending hearts. Since your mind is powerful enough to create a reality involving tragedy, it can surely create a reality involving ecstasy. I'm sure the universe will actually serve that reality greater and it will be an easier path to walk on.
Do be careful with external stimuli. The more trash thrown into our minds is the more we have to clear and the harder our positive reality becomes.
Sat Naam!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Sat Nam Prabhu... I'm working on the positive projection. Thank you for your good wishes and continued prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home