Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Oh to Be a Cowboys Fan

Monday, November 05, 2007

Oh to Be a Cowboys Fan

One of my favorite photographs of me is when I was about 4 years old. . . . I'm in my brother's room in my underwear with a cowboys' helmet on. Growing up in Texas, it's all about football. Growing up in my family, it's all about sports (with some religion, medicine, politics, literature, and cards thrown in for good measure). I grew up in right field of our local high school baseball stadium. Friday Night Lights really happens in small town Texas and if you weren't at the game Friday Night people noticed. Along with winter basketball and the annual donkey game, sports were a year-round enterprise. In my particular family, summer time was softball and water skiing. Pretty rare combination but fun nevertheless.

Since that photo of me in the Cowboys hat, it's been hard to be a Cowboys' fan. After the late 70s early 80s Disco years when the Cowboys were 'America's team', things haven't been quite the same. I became a Steelers fan, then a Packers fan, then a Giants fan, then a Raiders fan .... and so on and so on. But if last night's game is any indication, the Romo years are upon us and things might be looking up.

I may become a Cowboys fan after all. My roots are calling me--after all these years.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home