Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: A Vocabulary Lesson

Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Vocabulary Lesson

Main Entry: 1sub·li·mate
Pronunciation: 's&-bl&-"mAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -mat·ed; -mat·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin sublimatus, past participle of sublimare
1 a : SUBLIME 1 b archaic : to improve or refine as if by subliming
2 : to divert the expression of (an instinctual desire or impulse) from its primitive form to one that is considered more socially or culturally acceptable
- sub·li·ma·tion /"s&-bl&-'mA-sh&n/ noun

I am particularly concerned with the second definition--the more common variety--as it pertains to the replacement of one of my more basic instincts with food.

I know I'm not alone in this particular behavior, nevertheless it's beginning to disturb me. However, I still cannot express the "primitive" forms that I am endeavoring to replace, so what to do? Mastery of instincts is what yoga is all about. So I should be able to master this without supression, subjugation, shame or sublimation.

I'll let you know how it all works out. Smile.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home