Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Weekend Update

Monday, January 23, 2006

Weekend Update

Sometimes there's a reason I haven't seen a movie sooner--I'm not that interested and/or it's not that good and some part of me knows it. Hence, my review of King Kong is short and sweet. Monkey die--I not cry. A failure as far as that goes. Although I will admit the opening scenes with Naomi Watts as a vaudeville comedian were quite appealing. She's a very interesting actress and I'm looking very forward to her performance in the small upcoming film, Ellie Parker, which will be a much better showcase of her talents.

Every life has a bit of comedy. Mine was receiving a call two and half hours into King Kong from my friend saying that she had somehow managed to drop her keys into the locked and secure shred bin at work--I am the only one with the combination.....sigh. So, one strange trip to retrieve keys, buy pizza, and watch an even stranger movie made for quite the Friday night.

So, here, I imbed another movie review--for home viewing: Young Adam with Ewan McGregor. What to say? Too explicit, too strange, and not very moving; I'm personally a bit weary of the young, disenfranchised, amoral man wandering the world sleeping with as many woman as he can as a movie plot/genre/general excuse to not have to write a more sympathetic character. Evil is so much easier to write, evidently.

On a happier note, I went to the interfaith women's prayer circle in Abiquiu. I was really called to account for my own lack of centered prayer in my life lately. There is a muslim woman there, Rabina, who so moves me with her authenticity, her genuineness and her depth of feeling. I sit so very still when I'm with these women. They call me to account in another way as well--they are women living in their purpose. Ministers, artists, teachers--they are all women who do what they love. It's a clarion call for me to wake up and begin doing something that I love--anything. I'm getting too old for my usual excuses--blocked, depressed, undriven, what have you.

I sang at Gurwara Sunday morning, which is always a blessing--even when I don't feel up to it, which I didn't yesterday. It drained me for the remainder of the day. But I wrote a new melody to a shabd I really love, "my friend, my beloved friend, standing so hear to me is my friend...."

And finally, The Seattle Seahawks are in the Superbowl! I can't believe it. I move away and they decide to make a run to become world champions. Is it me?

Happy Monday, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home