Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: translations

Friday, September 15, 2006

translations

Translations are always interesting. I used to purchase multiple versions of my favorite poets (in translation) and do a comparative reading. There were those translations that are focused on precision, exacting and skilled in their approach. Then there are translations that somehow just don't speak to me--too dry--they may be translating the words but not the spirit. Well I tried my hand at a translation the other day and I think it turned out well.

Third Pauri of Anand Sahib (The Song of Bliss)

Lord Master,
What do you not hold
in your heart?

Whatever I receive
is your gift.

As I ever enjoy your gifts,
this entire creation,
my mind is stilled
and I am filled
with your Spirit
and the dance of your
celestial sounds
resound in my heart.

Says Nanak,
Oh, True One,
What doesn't abide
in your home?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home