Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Revolution to Evolution

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Revolution to Evolution

1994 was supposedly the Gingrich Revolution and we've been living under it for 12 years...despite lies, corruption, and war. Will 2006 be the evolution? I hope so.

My mother often argues that I hold such radical opinions because I only listen to liberal voices (the few that remain in journalism); but as I read a report about the Fox coverage of last night's election, I had to laugh. Who's listening to slanted news now? From the article I read, they couldn't seem to pull it together to even cover the election--interviews with winners, statements from the party, etc. because they were all democrats and FOX only allows a 20% representation of democratic or independent party guests on its programming. I wish I could say I'm sorry but I'm not. Maybe people will begin to see it for what it is--propaganda--along with many of the other mainstream media outlets.

As for Evolution? I'm skeptical. The democratic party hasn't been able to hold it's own in over 50 years. There have been a few bright moments in-between, but for the most part, this country is conservative. I tend to agree with a letter writer on Salon yesterday, if the Bill of Rights were put up to public opinion it would probably be ousted. So, the democratic party has a moment to shine. I hope they shine brightly enough to reveal a renewed vision of our country and its principles. Liberty and justice for all--will that really mean 'for all': the prisoners in Guantanamo being held for years without even a charge, much less evidence; the people of Afghanistan and Iraq; the poor and homeless who weren't allowed to vote yesterday because of 'machine failure'. Will we actually redefine liberty so that it means more than just survival? Will we understand that healthcare is really about healing? Will we understand the costs of economic growth and begin to actually count them: environmental, social, international? Will we deliver the promise that the United States has always been to people around the world? A place of prosperity, individual excellence, and governmental accountability....we shall see.

8 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps I'm a product of my environment but your views do not seem "out there" to me. As a matter of fact, I'd call them sensible and informed. I'm just glad to see that voters were no longer willing to turn a blind eye to what was happening to our nation and the liberties we cherish.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Remembering it's a game is the key! I'm glad to see I don't seem that radical, Adi! I grew up about 45 minutes from Bush's ranch in Crawford...traditionally democratic territory, but in the past 20 years or so everything has turned on its head and the typical democratic contingency is not very empowered as voters....so, there you have it. And it is amazing to see Bush's quick turnaround....things change is the only truth that remains--always.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is definitely a game, but for nearly 20 years it appears that many americans were content to let other people play for them. I'm just happy that our country is energized enough to do something. Now let's hope it can be sustained. I grew up on the west coast in the 1970's with parents who were members of the communist party so my views are probably a little skewed as well. I'm assuming most of the country is more like Crawford than L.A. or Seattle or even tiny little Eugene.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Ah so now my 'radical' opinions come into further focus--of course they're not radical coming from a red-diapered baby!

I think most of the country is just people trying to get by. This clinging to the notion of the polarities is very indicative of the change in the age....things are shifting and it's a last gasp to hold on to the status quo. We understand two sides arguing, but to transcend that and recognize that we're two sides of the SAME coin is another ballgame--called the aquarian age. It's even more interesting to look into the eyes of those I know who live in Central Texas who cling this idea of radical polarity--for some reason it's important, as a part of their identity, to see themselves so far from the 'left' whatever that is anymore. I don't buy it. We're all just trying to get by, love our friends and family, earn a living to pay our mortage, and every once in a while have a transcendent moment that somehow makes it all worth it. And I think that's true for all of us--regardless of our party affilications or rural/urban or rich/poor, etc. If we can all begin to include that commonality in our dialogue then we have a chance to see beyond the polarity and become yogis--yeah!

Thanks for your comments Adi...I love hearing from people who read the blog--let's me not feel like I'm out here on my soap box all alone, ha!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Point taken... and you're absolutely right when you say people are simply trying to survive. It makes me realize that my push for "tolerance" in society may not be all the pure is kind of humbling. I'm carrying the weight of my own prejudices when reacting to this election. I need to step back and look at my ideas and ideals. My prejudices appear to have gotten the best of me here.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Well my comments were by no means meant to be an admonishment of any kind...I, too, want to push for 'tolerance' and yet when I see my own intolerance for the Republican 'Christian' Right, I have to take pause, as you say, and step back. The consolation for all of us is that with each breath we have an opportunity to be something different, to see differently, hear differently, act differently. We have a moment to simply be in that moment, and that moment alone, if only we allow ourselves to drop our history, our stories, our positions, and be.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

I hope that people don't get comfortable thinking that a democratic congress will change things automatically. We need to watch our elected officials, republican or democrat and see that they represent us. If you all haven't seen the documentary 'Iraq for Sale,' I highly recommend it. There should be congressional inquiries into many things that are happening in Iraq and there should be a motion to impeach Bush and Cheney for their crimes. That would be a truly representative and progressive congress.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Agreed Prabhu....as I said in my original message, I don't hold a lot of hope for the Democrats to be that different, but just as long as they are different enough, yes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home