Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Seen and Unseen at the Cinema

Monday, November 13, 2006

Seen and Unseen at the Cinema

Well, I was supposed to go see Sasha Cohen's new movie Borat on Saturday night with friends, but I kept getting this intuitive thought that I shouldn't go. Then I muscle tested myself and it was a consistent no! So, my review of Borat is that my body literally wouldn't let me go. Maybe I'm just not hip enough anymore? Or maybe I'm growing more sensitive with age, but the idea of sitting in a theatre watching someone openly make-fun of people seemed hard--even though he's making fun of people who ostensibly deserve it. I've never been good at being teased...so my playground sense of fairness just wouldn't allow me to see it. Sorry. You'll have to see it and write a review for me.

I did see The Queen; everyone around me was raving about it. Mirren performance is very skilled--amazing actually, given her propensity for sassy, outspoken roles much of the time. But she plays the reserved Elizabeth with a light touch and even makes her seem human. Overall I wouldn't say it was an outstanding movie, though. Or maybe it's just not my thing.

4 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this happened to me as well in the past. i used to be the most heavy duty fan of hip hop music but over the years most of the music started to feel so bland, and other soul-inspiring music became all the more sweet, to the point that i rarely have the urge to listen to any non-spiritual music anymore. it is just a sign of your spiritual focus shifting. you may still enjoy some movies and music, but you will better be able to seperate the truth from the falsehood

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Well I'm still a fan; artistry is the kundalini rising in my opinion; but yes, I'm much more sensitive anymore to harshness, cruelty, etc., as forms of humor.

Sat Nam.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

I also used to really enjoy hip-hop, but just can't listen to it any more. To much hedonism and depravity!
I guess I'm still willing to see movies like Borat though. I thought Borat was hilarious, but there's one scene I could have certainly done without. Sat Purkh I don't think it would bug you too much (except for maybe one scene which bugs everybody). I think Cohen gets beat up (metaphorically and not) more than anybody else really.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Thanks for the encouragement to test myself against Cohen, Prabhu. I may see it eventually. Just on that particular day at that particular junction in space and time, I couldn't. And instead I saw one of the most skilled vocalists I've ever seen. So....I'll definately let you know if I end up seeing soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home