Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Into the open sea

Monday, December 18, 2006

Into the open sea

My friend Sahaj Kaur recently sent me this poem by Ranier Marie Rilke, who just happens to be one of my favorite poets. I thought I would pass it along.

I believe in all that has never been spoken.
I want to free whatever waits within me,
So that which no one has dared to wish for,
May for once spring clear,
Without my contriving.

I want to mirror your immensity
I want to unfold.
Let no place in me hold itself closed
for where I am closed, I am false.
I want to stay clear in your sight.

If this is arrogant, God, forgive me,
But this is what I need to say.
May what I do flow from me like a river,
The way it is with children.
Then in these swelling and ebbing currents,
These deepening tides moving out, returning,
I will sing you as no one ever has,
Streaming through widening channels
Into the open sea.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home