Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Michael Franti--Patron Saint of Peace

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Michael Franti--Patron Saint of Peace

Yesterday was my 7-year sobriety anniversary. Sort of a big deal. I'd just gotten in from Seattle and was exhausted when at 10am I remembered I had bought tickets to Michael Franti and Spearhead. My first thought was, I'm too tired. And I feel like I'm coming down with something. And, and , and. . . . But I am soooo glad I went.

I've been a fan of Spearhead for probably close to 15 years now. I've seen Michael Franti perform on tiny piers, smoky clubs, acapella at peace rallies, and now in a grand theatre. He only gets better and better. In fact, of the many times I've seen him perform, I believe last night was the best--even though I wasn't feeling 100%. I felt so uplifted by the end of the show. He's a magician and a healer and a peace maker, yogi, sadhu, saint, and, and, and. . . .

During the encore he brought a couple up on stage to dance. The guy then proceeded to get down on one knee and ask the girl to marry him. Then he pulled two kids onto the stage to jump around. After every show he sticks around and says hi to people, jumps down from the stage and gives out hugs and hellos.

As my friend and I were coming down the stairs from the nosebleed section, I said, I think I want to go down and see if we can say hello. I'd gotten a hug from him at another show years ago in Seattle. And it was a long shot, there were tons of people there. But it's like receiving darshan, so off we go and he was there waiting with open arms. What a lovely human being.

He has become so radiant and light over the years. He's always been positive and political, but it seems now that he's transcended--beyond the polarities as we say in yoga--and even his songs talk about it. "Nobody's right and nobody's wrong."

I can't imagine a better way to have celebrated my seven years!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger susiewatkins said...

I saw Micheal Franti as well last night at The Lensic. I couldnt agree more....what an amazing human being and humanatarian. I also recieved that beautiful hug. I cant wait until I see him again. Micheal Franti to me, is a reminder of what I want to be more like in my life.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Hey Susie,

I'm glad you got to see the show, too! It was one of his best! He's definately a good man to immulate. Have you seen his movie yet? If you don't catch it at Body let me know; I own it if you ever want to have a viewing with like-minded friends.

Sat Nam and Blessings. spkk

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger susiewatkins said...

Wow, thank you so much for the offer of, "I am not alone", I just ordered it thru Netflix. I will for sure want to chat about it after I see it. I would love to share some music with you if you are interested. My friend in California has a fabulous band called Tulasi and has backed Michael Franti before. Susie

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

I'm glad you're getting to see I Know I'm Not Alone. I recommend you see it with friends. I had a small viewing at my house and then took it home for my family to see at Christmas--Michael can even soften the heart of my Republican Parents!

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it--there's a review of it somewhere on my blog if you want to search for it--ha!

And as for exchanging music--sure! My current favorite is Sufjan Stevens. . . .but there are some other great local bands from Seattle that have the Spearhead sound; I'll have to jog my memory.

Ciao for now--heading to the East Coast for two weeks to record!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home