Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Got a Fever

Friday, September 14, 2007

Got a Fever

Literally, but also because my favorite Buddhist teacher is in town this weekend--and fever or not--I'm going to be there! Robina Courtin was ordained as a Tibetan Nun in 1977. She has been traveling and teaching since then. She's a force to be reckoned with, so much so, that a documentary film has been made about her life--Chasing Buddha--check it out!

She's funny, razor-sharp, and absolutely a stickler about what the Buddha taught....no fuzzy edges. At one point in my life, I thought I would pack my bags and follow her. But somehow I found my way here instead.

I'm reading a treatise by the Dalai Lama on the Heart Sutra; in it he says that all religions are essentially the same in that they help the human heart become compassionate, ethical, and one hopes, experience happiness. But he does say that it's best to choose one and stick to it. I've done that--and yet I still find the teachings of the Buddha so compelling and helpful in my own negotiations around attachment and identity that I turn to them again and again. And I confess, I love this woman. She inspires me. So, I go--despite how I feel--and hopefully the message, the dharma, will burn through me and heal me and uplift me to turn ever more deeply toward the path that my heart has chosen, the feet of the guru, the song of the naad, the stillness of the heart.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is good to experience different ways to meditate, especailly buddhism. I don't think that Guruji is narrow minded energy, the description is of ours to God.

please share with us your expereince with mediatation and we can add guru shabad to it!

Gurinder "G"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home