Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Serendipity

Monday, September 24, 2007

Serendipity

So I mentioned that I was taking a jazz piano workshop this weekend, right? Well, the first phone call I get this morning when I come into the office is from an old friend from California. Her mom, who lives in Albuquerque, wants to get rid of her piano and thought of me! Just when I was wondering how I was ever going to practice!

The workshop was a bit hard to follow; it's been so long since I've played and my theory has about 25 years of dust on it. But it was good to be there anyway, to get back into the language of music, and to learn some of the jazz techniques: rhythm, tri-tone substitutions, and whole tone, chromatic, and harmonic minor scales. I should probably take a few lessons, but I think I'll start with just getting my hands on the piano; playing with scales; learning to relate to chord progressions, etc. Then see where it goes.

Later that evening I went to the teacher's performance. It was amazing. There's just nothing better than live jazz in my opinion. It moves the kundalini like nothing else--and all you have to do is listen! No breath of fire, no spine flex, no pain! I highly recommend this guys new album: Kevin Hays The Dreamer. Brilliant!

2 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

The one and only mention of "kundalini" in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, says "kunalini surjit satsangat." Which means that the kundalini rises in the sangat.
Siri Singh Sahib Ji said of Bhai Avtar Singh ji that he could raise your kundlini through his singing. Bhai Kultar Singh Ji, who you've met, is now carrying that legacy.
Re kundalini yoga, it's not supposed to be painful (?) maybe you just have to do the modified postures. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

re: KY

If you don't experience pain in kundalini yoga classes I want to know where you're going! Not that it's PAIN but there's always some challenge and level of discomfort or you don't have an experience--or at least that's my experience anyway.

and yes, when the shabd is sung in the company of the saints, the kundalini definately rises. blessings Prabhu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home