Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: The Circus--a poem

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Circus--a poem

The Circus

It began before it began
and it ended before it started.

The circus came to town
and the three muses called
him to their box of mysteries
and he lost himself
within, never to be found
again.

I went to the house of mirrors
only to lose my way.
What was really there?
Distorted images of what
was true, reflections of me
and you

The Big Top came
and went
and now the ground
is simply trampled down--
no evidence of the magic
and the mystery that
once came to life
in a moment of time
and space
now gone
moved on

I stand here
looking at where it began
and I wonder where
it could have gone

the circus has left
this lonely town
and here I stand
my hands sticky
my heart pounding
my mind dazed
at the wonder that
lived and breathed
before me--now gone
only hints of the music
remain, lilting notes
of dreams and whispers
of hope

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home