Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Politics and the Not-so-usual Suspects

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Politics and the Not-so-usual Suspects

I have to admit that I've been unwilling to watch the Republican Convention, so I can't pretend to a fair discussion about the events...but I did take an online 'political' test recently which was a confirmation of everything I've known intuitively for years. Neither party is even on the same playing field as me and my ideas. So for years, when I said I didn't see any real difference between the Democrats and the Republicans, I was right--at least from my position out in Far Left Field. But the past 8 years have taught me that whatever nuanced differences there are--they're VERY important! Evidently political rhetoric and the policies they give birth to are like the Richter Magnitude Scale, each 10th of a point along the continuum that is liberal-conservative actually represents a significant difference in effect. A devastating difference.

So abstinence education gives birth to a national spectacle of a teen wedding, talk of 'experience' in the White House is now obsolete, and the last gasp of misogyny as displayed by a 'pit bull' with lipstick is now the Republican Party's answer to women and their 'issues'. Give me a break.

Women are smarter than that.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Sulene said...

As a fellow Christian -gasp- democrat, I must say I have really, really enjoyed reading some of your posts. I found your blog while googling something about Obama and it has been a good read =] keep up the good work!

Becky

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa said...

Thanks for commenting Becky.. . .I'm glad to have a Christian Democrat - gasp - on our side.

I recently had to admit to myself that my mother will never vote for a democrat...I walked around my house screaming fascist at the top of my lungs just to work out the frustration; but you can't make people see how their party has become a malicious, bitter, angry mob, even if you wish you could. Conservative policy is fine; I can talk on those terms, but what the republican party is today--no way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home