Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Memorium

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Memorium

I got an opportunity to see the Vietnam Memorial yesterday afternoon. It was a perfect day; the sky was clear and it was just warm enough for people to be out enjoying the sun, the first taste of spring.

It's an impressive monument. You really get drawn in by the way it's laid out. I cried at the sight of so many names and to witness someone getting a shadow imprint of their friend's name and hearing them reminisce. Very moving.

The reflecting pool between Washington and Lincoln memorials was empty--a bit disappointing--but at least I couldn't fall in like I did when I was a kid.

Meanwhile, we had Ethiopian food for lunch in this great neighborhood and I realized that it's nice to know there are places in the world that I could live other than Capitol Hill in Seattle--There's capitol hill in the capitol--DC! ha. . . .seriously though, it was a really charming neighborhood and should I ever decide to move again, it will be in my top five!

I head to NYC later this week to visit friends I haven't seen in years--maybe I'll find a top five neighborhood there, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home