Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: first steps

Monday, July 20, 2009

first steps

Today is the 40th anniversary of man walking on the moon. It's also the 40th anniversary of my first baby steps in the world--and this many years later it still feels like I'm learning how to walk sometimes: how to negotiate the relationship with my family, how to bow to what is while keeping faith with what I hope for, how to be happy.

This dharma gives us lots of things to do--infinite ways to practice, to meditate, to pray, to sing. The disciplines continue on to the horizon. But the bottom line is that you have to do them in order for them to work. I feel like I'm taking those baby steps again. Keep getting up when you fall down. Keep making right effort. Keep opening the heart. Keep practicing and pretty soon I'll be up and running again.

Until then,
Be gentle,
on yourself and others.
Do one good thing for yourself
and two for someone else.
Don't think too much.
Go for long walks.
Bake muffins.
Laugh at your dog--
and listen to your cats
purrrrrrrrr.
Sing. And then sing some more.
Sit quietly and wait.
Dawn comes
and with it, the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home