Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Stagecoach Springs

Monday, July 30, 2007

Stagecoach Springs

Wow--this weekend really proved to me that I need to get out more!

I really wanted to go swimming Saturday afternoon. I'd spent the morning helping a friend move and I was hot and tired and sweaty. Usually I just drive up the road, along the Taos river, and park my car and jump in. But this particular day, I had serendipitously run into a couple of friends that morning at the coffee shop and they mentioned going swimming somewhere north of Taos. I didn't think I'd be able to join them, but then all things come together and off we headed.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to find it on my own, but as you drive past these amazing Earthships and modern adobe houses, you turn down toward the Gorge. And there along the ridge you park your car and head down. It must be a 300 ft hike down into the canyon. There at the bottom are some tiny natural springs and the river. . . . perfect way to spend the afternoon.

There were amazing lava rock formations--black rock against green grass--I wish I was a photographer; it was beautiful.

It's called Stagecoach because evidently, this is the point that stagecoaches used to cross the river. . . you can see a line going up the opposite side that looks like a tiny trail. Hard to imagine it could have supported a team of horses at one point.

I can't wait to go back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home