Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Two Poems

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Two Poems

The Barren Tree

Oh my beloved Lord
you have pierced me
to the root
I stand here
a barren tree
in the desert
waiting for the summer
rains

The clouds gather
all is dark
the air is thick
and heavy
until finally
the sky bursts
and your warm rains
shower down over me
washing away my tears

Where there was once
a woman lost & alone
there stands now
a child laughing in the storm
in whose outstretched hands
lotus flowers bloom

The barren tree
now flowers
with song

Life is Calling

whitman's 'yawp'
emily's great leaping
dashes -------
Sandburg's salt and stone
Mary's wild geese

some things that can't
be named because
the light of the word
would destroy them

those that awaken
to the sound of the word
the poets,
they call to them

illuminated letters
describing and defining
life's indelible call--
Come, call my name

hear my name
in the city streets
in the high and lonely desert
in the ocean roar
on the mountain tops
and in the slow and winding river
hear my name

I am life--
live again



1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.
Thank you for writing these poems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home